Businesses are required to subscribe to organic waste (now to include food waste) recycling and garbage collection service through Fresno County's approved hauler list or self-haul their organic waste to a specified composting facility.
Non-local entities and local education agencies are also required to subscribe to organic waste collection service or self-haul their organic waste, and are subject to the same requirements as commercial businesses.
HOW IT WORKS
Businesses will be required to:
- Provide employees and customers with organics and recycling containers next to all trash containers.
- Ensure that there is access to an adequate number, size, and location of containers; label containers correctly or conform to the correct container colors: Green: organics; Blue: recycling; Gray: trash
- Properly dispose of food waste in green bins instead of the gray bins.
- Educate employees and customers on how to properly sort food waste into the correct bins.
- Inspect organic waste containers for contamination.
- Donate edible food to a food recovery organization and have a food donation agreement in place.*
Don't have a green container? Contact your hauler today! Find your hauler below.
*The food donation agreement only pertains to Commercial Food Generators. See more information.
EMPLOYEE TRAINING & CUSTOMER EDUCATION
To reduce food waste in our landfills, please provide education to employees regarding how to properly sort food waste. Here are a few resources for download and printing.
CUSTOMER EDUCATION POSTER
EMPLOYEE TRAINING POSTER
COMMERCIAL EDIBLE FOOD GENERATORS
To determine if your business is a Tier 1 or Tier 2 commercial edible food generator, click the button below.
CONTACT YOUR WASTE HAULER
For any other questions, contact your waste hauler. Contact info at the below link.
*Certain areas of the county may be exempt from SB 1383 organics regulations. Please check with your trash hauler or the Fresno County Resources Division for more information.